The idea of building, managing and retaining a project management team is certainly not new to project managers. However, the secret behind successful project teams still remains unveiled. Although managers in every workplace talk about having a productive and proactive project team, only a few actually understand how such teams can be created. The sense of belonging, to a particular team, can make you feel that you are part of something that is larger than you.
Understanding the objectives and mission of your organization is the fundamental step, which cannot be overlooked. When it is a team-oriented environment, everybody contributes to the success of the organization. Working closely with fellow team members is essential for successful completion of the project undertaken. Another important aspect is that, even though every member is associated to specific set of tasks, the resources are collectively working to realize the goal organizational. The function of a team should always be driven by the bigger picture.
However, it is necessary for the project managers to differentiate the process of attaining upright solidarity in the team from the task of developing an effective team that is intact when it comes to visualizing and realizing the goal of the firm. Creating a successful project assemblage is totally different from team-building activities. The prime responsibility of the leaders is to clearly define the team, which they are looking forward to build. Building a focused and effective work team requires a strong framework.
Although the horizontal, team-based organizational structures are the best known approaches for involving employees in business success, this is not paramount. Building a successful project team can be challenging and tough. This is because, people chosen are the ones who bring in ideas, knowledge, opinion, value, knowledge and experiences depending on their position in the team. Collaboration and team work are those things that can be taught or developed. However, choosing the right team player is something that you have to focus on while building the team.
The following aspects can be considered while creating an efficacious project management team:
- Team Milieu – It is important to know whether your team members know the reason for their participation in the project, in other words their role in the project. Here, the project managers should communicate the goal of the firm to their team and ensure that every team member understands the need for the team’s strategy to accomplish the corporate goal. Every resource should have a clear idea on the team’s strategy.
- Clear Prospects – The expected outcomes and the expectations from the team have to be clearly communicated by the administrating leadership. The team members should know the purpose of creation of their team; why was the team created. It is also essential to make it clear whether the organization readily supplies the resources, funds and time for the undertaken project. This gives a better idea for the team members and answers most, if not all, of their queries. Apart from these, it is also essential to ensure that the team receives enough emphasis with respect to time, interest as well as attention from the leaders.
- Commitment Towards Work – Evaluating whether the team members feel that the project is important and actively participate in the venture is also necessary. Getting team members who are committed to accomplish the team’s mission should be brought on board. It is also good to check whether the resource feels that his/her work is of significance to the project. Appointing people who look forward to develop their skills with the project growth is of great benefit; this is because such individuals will be open for improvements and deliver better results. It is better to have team members who are thrilled about the project.
- Adeptness – This involves making the team feel that only the apt people are participating in the project. The team should know that all its members are skilled, knowledgeable and capable of addressing the issues that prompted the formation of the team. The team should have an easy access to all the service and support it needs. Providing the resources support and strategies required by the team to realize the mission increases its confidence by multi-folds.
- Charter – Let the team take responsibility of the domain it is assigned with and come up with strategies to accomplish the project. In simple words, not giving out the answers for every query and making the team think and analyze the situation. This is very crucial because this puts the process on autopilot. The team should also be made to define the goals, anticipated results and estimated contributions and communicate the same to the management. The team should be educated on evaluating the task outcomes and the process followed to achieve the goal. Supporting the team with the design that they have come up with is another important aspect.
- Elite Resource Plan – Creating an elite resource plan is the first step in building productive project teams. This requires a clear understanding and identifying of the tasks to be done and suitable resources to get the work completed Critical Chain Project Management. In the project beginning, a resource plan just identifies the stakeholder groups, various departments, approximate number of resources the required man-hours that have to be put in. Review your preliminary plan, before fully implemented. Although a detailed resource plan is outlaid during the initial stages of the project, which looks complex, it can be broken down as the project commences and progresses.
- Getting Right Resources on Board – Choosing the best possible people for every particular task is extremely crucial. Though this sounds very obvious, it is not as easy as it seems when it comes to getting the right resources onboard. Some of the key factors that need to be considered to screen potential members include the following:
- Their capacity to influence an organization
- Skill sets required to completely a given work
- How well can they access other resource networks
- Effective participation in the team
- Individuals who are result oriented
- Even though the candidate is efficient, checking whether s/he suits the requirements of your project makes better sense
- Whether the candidate is self-motivated
The above discussed are the chief aspects that have to be followed while designing a high-performing team. However there are other several trivial points that need to be taken care. Having a team identity and ensuring that team members support the work of each other is vital. Emphasizing on problem solving can be more beneficial than figuring out where the blame can be laid. Better understanding of the roles and the urge to complete them with perfection will definitely lead the project towards success. Having an operating agreement, resource plan, documented goals and objectives can make your project team more successful.
Author Bio – Avyakta
Avyakta is an MSc graduate by education. She is a professional writer in the domain of learning and education. She has completed her masters in Biochemistry from Bangalore University and is currently working as an author with Solutions Pvt Ltd, which is one of the leading providers of professional certification courses. The courses offered by Simplilearn address the unique needs of working professionals. She has previously worked with a publishing house and e-commerce firm. She is based out of Bangalore and has an experience of 3 years in the field of content writing and blogging. Her work has been published on various sites related to Project Management, IT, Finance, SAP, Quality Management and more.